What a grueling three months it’s been for all of us this offseason – players and fans alike.
But the wait is finally over for top-level football as three of Europe’s top leagues return to action this weekend.
Whether you prefer the breakneck speed of the Bundesliga, the finesse of the Premier League, or the hopelessness of Ligue 1 – here are the top picks for opening weekend.
- Where to Watch: ESPN+
- Top Match: Borussia Dortmund vs Leverkusen, Saturday, 9:30 AM PST
- Storyline: Though most eyes will be on Sadio Mane’s Bundesliga debut with Bayern, the best opening weekend match-up is between last season’s number two and three finishers. Watch for USMNT player Gio Reyna, who may or may not still be recovering from a hamstring injury.
- Prediction: 5-3, Dortmund
- Premier League
- Where to Watch: NBC, NBCSports, Peacock Premium
- Top Match: Crystal Palace vs Arsenal, Friday, Noon PST
- Storyline: Arsenal is looking to prove that their stellar pre-season was no fluke with the exciting addition of Gabriel Jesus from Man City. Crystal Palace outperformed expectations last season and will look to continue to do so. Watch for USMNT defender Chris Richards on Crystal Palace and USMNT goalkeeper Matt Turner for the Gunners.
- Prediction: 4-1, Arsenal
- Ligue 1
- Where to Watch: beIN sports, FuboTV
- Top Match: Clermont Foot vs PSG, Saturday, Noon PST
- Storyline: Out of all the games from Ligue 1 this weekend, this is the only one to feature Messi, Neymar, and Mbappe. I don’t know if Clermont is a town or extremity, but I’m sure Messi will sign their jerseys after the game.
- Prediction: 0-0
Neymar’s ready… Are you?!
Featured Image: Pexels/Darlene Alderson//Bundesliga/Premier League/Ligue1/DM